Guiding principals for planning the 2020-2021 band year
1. Educational Validity, Rigor, and Relevance
2. Leadership and Musical Skill Development
3. Rewarding and Fun Opportunities
4. Safety within the framework of scheduling
Mr. Matherne is currently on multiple task forces re: reopening. He's working to provide avenues for APS students to get a comprehensive and rewarding music education K-12. Currently, he is working to ascertain the possibility of students that choose online education in the coming school year having the opportunity to take an elective or two at their local high school. He is working to give opportunities for a vast array of students/families.
1. Yes, we plan to have a band camp albeit non-traditional.
2. Yes, we will have fees, but they will be commensurate with the schedule/events.
3. Yes, we want to have a traditional marching band setting, but it will look different. We are investigating and brainstorming possibilities.
4. Our staff is very excited to see the kids and get going. We currently have Mr. Matherne, Mr. Rainbird, Mr. Sayre, Mr. Chrisman, and Mr. Chacon on the team.
5. As for leadership, the plan is to select leadership based on their applications and prior levels of participation in the program. We will wait to assign those positions until we know more about the coming school year.